For those who like maps and are interested in exactly what ground we covered in Scotland, I’m sharing a Google Map that lays out our route.
Here’s a list of the main highlights of our itinerary:
- 4 nights in Edinburgh: Edinburgh Castle, the National Museum of Scotland, Colton Hill, the Royal Mile, day trip to Stirling Castle.
- 3 nights in Nairn: a home base from which to explore the northeast of Scotland, including Loch Ness and the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail.
- 2 nights in Portree on the Isle of Skye: the Fairy Pools, Talisker Distillery and the sights on the Trotternish Peninsula (Fairy Glen, Quairang, Kilt Rock, the Old Man of Storr).
- 2 nights in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull: including an all-day boat excursion to the islands of Lunga and Staffa.
- 1 night in Glengorm Castle: a lovely splurge that would be better done as two nights (to have a full day to enjoy the sprawling acreage around the castle).
- 2 nights in Glasgow: the cathedral, Necropolis and the Museum of Transport.